There are many factors that go into the cause of a car accident, but dangerous roadways can be high on the list.
According to the California Highway Patrol, in 2015, California saw over 250,000 individuals injured in car accidents. Which roads are more dangerous than others? How can you stay safe while driving on these roads?
- State Route 99: According to recent data, this road is one of the top five most dangerous roads in America. There are many factors that make this road dangerous, one of them being the that it is over 400 miles long. The stretch of road also has a high speed limit of 70 mph, which could attribute to the deadliness of accidents that occur.
- Interstate 5: This interstate links many of California’s major cities, making it a high-traffic roadway. Distracted driving or driver fatigue also could be factors in crashes on this stretch of road.
- State Route 12: This road is so dangerous that it has been dubbed the “blood highway.” Speeding, large trucks and blind spots could attribute to the deadliness of this road.
Tips to stay safe on these roads
- Avoid distracted driving
- Abide by posted speed limits
- Do your best to stay awake while behind the wheel
- Plan for traffic
- Leave yourself enough time to get to your destination
- Give other cars enough room
Each of these roads have significant fatality rates, so it may be in your best interest to avoid them. It is not always possible to avoid a highway, however, which is why the tips listed above are important to your safety.